Introducing solid foods to your baby is an exciting milestone filled with new tastes, textures, and culinary adventures. However, if your little one has been diagnosed with cow’s milk protein allergy (CMPA), you may find yourself navigating a whole new world out there and this dairy free Mac & Cheese will just fit that request.
CMPA occurs when your baby’s immune system reacts to the proteins found in cow’s milk, leading to discomfort and digestive issues. I have more on CMPA symptoms HERE.
While it can be challenging to find suitable recipes, fear not! I’ve developed a delicious and nutritious dairy-free mac and cheese recipe that’s perfect for weaning babies with CMPA.
At this crucial stage of your baby’s development, it’s important to provide them with a variety of nutrients to support their growth and ensure they receive the necessary vitamins and minerals. Our dairy-free mac and cheese recipe combines wholesome ingredients that offer a burst of flavours.
By opting for alternative ingredients that are free from cow’s milk, we can create a creamy and delightful mac and cheese that your little one will adore. This recipe utilises a creamy base providing a velvety texture and a dose of essential vitamins.
Vegan or plant based pregnancy
Congratulations on your pregnancy! This is an incredibly special time filled with anticipation, and definately a you’ll be focussed on eating well. If you’re vegan or plant-based, you may be seeking delicious and nutrient-rich recipes that meet your dietary preferences while nourishing your body and supporting a healthy pregnancy. Look no further! We have a delightful dairy-free mac and cheese recipe tailored specifically for expectant mums like you.
Instead of traditional dairy products, I’ll be using wholesome plant-based ingredients to create a creamy and cheesy mac and cheese.
Rest assured that my recipe will satisfy your cravings for comfort food on a vegan or plant-based lifestyle.
Dairy Free Mac & Cheese
- 1 Small pan
- 1 Large pan
- 1 Large Spoon for cooking
- 1 Sieve
- 300 g Macaroni Cheese
- 1 tbsp Dairy Free Spread
- 500 mls Fortified Plant Based Milk
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 250 g Plant Based Cheese
- 1 tsp garlic puree optional
- Put the pasta in a pan can cook as per the manufacturers instructions – 300 g Macaroni Cheese
- Add the dairy free spread into a separate pan and heat slowly until melted – 1 tbsp Dairy Free Spread
- Add the flour into the dairy free spread and mix well it will form a roux (cook for 2 minutes be careful to not let it burn) 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- Add a little milk and mix well – take of the heat and add milk slowly – too quickly and it will go lumpy 500 mls Fortified Plant Based Milk
- When all milk is added – put back on the heat and bring it to the boil (add in the garlic is using)
- Add in the dairy free cheese and mix well, sprinkle in the paprika 250 g Plant Based Cheese 1 tsp Paprika
- Drain the pasta and stir in the cheesy sauce.
- Serve with fresh vegetables
Hannah is an Expert Registered Dietitian specialising in Vegan Family Nutrition and Cows Milk Protein Allergy.
She is a respected figure in the field of nutrition and a captivating speaker and sought after media spokesperson being featured in esteemed publications including the Sunday Times, Independent and Huffington Post.
- Registered Dietitian
- First Class Degree in Nutrition
- Over 15 years experience working in the field of nutrition
- Respected Media Spokesperson both in the UK & USA; quoted online, TV and in local and international news
- Writer & Researcher, supporting the BDA and PEN Nutrition